“You can search through the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere, than you yourself. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection. – Buddha on self love
What does love mean to you?
A popular saying is “Love makes the world go around” and for sure it is the most powerful force in the universe that I know of.
The bible verse Corinthians 13:4-8a describes love as;
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
Today is Valentine’s Day, a day of celebrating love. At Magnificent Me Magnificent You we believe the most important love is self love.
Mahatma Gandhi famously reminded the world that everything begins with the self. A statement we strongly concur with as one can only give to others that which they have within.
Before we can truly love another, we must first truly love ourselves. We must first fill up our cup that it overflows with love.
Therefore, how can we foster self love within. Most people find it very easy to exhibit positive behaviour to friends, offering words of comfort, support and uplift when needed.
Ways to foster self love
In Buddhism a primary meaning of love is friendship. From this thought a wonderful way to foster self love is to act towards your self as you would a dear friend: –
- Accept yourself whole heartedly
- Be kind to yourself
- Acknowledge your gifts, start making a list of the things that you love about yourself.
- Ask friends and family what they love about you.
- Let go of comparison
- Know you are enough
- Prioritize your dreams, do things that inspire and light you up.
- Say no to things that aren’t good for you.
- Spend time with people who support, encourage, motivate you to be the best version of you.
- Own your thoughts and opinions
- Talk gently and kindly with yourself
- Try new things
- Nourish your mind, body and soul
- Trust your intuition
- Pamper yourself each day with an activity you love
- Practice self love meditations
- Validate yourself
- Maintain your values, lower your standards for no one.
- Forgive yourself when required.
- Acknowledge the amazing miracle that you are.
With self love, kindness, compassion, joy and freedom naturally flow. We trust our inner voice and feelings. Overcoming limiting beliefs become more creative and dream bigger, our cup overflows for all living beings. Easily fulfilling the statement “Love thy neighbour as thyself”.
We hope you agree with us self love is key and choose to love the self, first.